Thursday, October 15, 2009

Aural Stimuli Update - October

Sooo I've been listening to a few albums like non-stop. I can't explain it. They're just too great. I'll update you on the others later, but for now...
Devin Townsend - Terria [HevyDevy][wiki]
Genre: Metal/Rock


Devin Townsend is a musician/producer who you might know from Strapping Young Lad, an extreme metal band. Mr. Townsend makes incredibly diverse music and will continue for the rest of his life. But it all stems from the general strength of metal. This album is a mix of metal and folk, with poppier elements at times. Which is not at all a bad thing. Pop can be good when used correctly. And good god, this is good. This record was released in 2001 when SYL were still together, and this really showcases both sides of Devin's personality in one album. Which makes sense, because he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 1997. This album definitely has a duality to it; within the same song at times and the end result is simply amazing.

With "Canada", he pays tribute to his home and my god it is one epic tribute(he also has the word Canada tattooed on his right calf. Pretty proud I would say. : ) ). Then, with "The Fluke", he expresses his feelings of alienation and bravery through the driving riffs and huge sound. Finally, the one song I listen to more than any other on this album is the power ballad, "Stagnant". I'm at a point in my life where I definitely feel like I've been wasting away this gift of life. And this song really expresses what I could never put into words. It also gives you a sense of Devin's vocal range.
"So ain't it funny how, after trying to find my way home
I'm in the middle now and I won't get lost again..."

I truly think you should buy this album. And if not, at least get a shirt or something. He has his own label HevyDevy Records; I and he would really appreciate it if you would support him. He also has a new album coming out called Addicted which should be pretty amazing. As usual.

You can find Devin Townsend and his hilarious/geekiness/quirkiness on:

No comments:

Post a Comment