Saturday, October 17, 2009

Piece4 - Ray-Ban Apology

Dear Ray-Ban,
  I'm sorry that the Wayfarer has been co-opted by the culturally, and creatively devoid. Instead of being an accessory of the culturally relavant, scene kids and frat boys have raped the cool of wayfarers. Where originally it was worn by icons such as John F. Kennedy, Andy Warhol, Audrey Hepburn, and Bob Dylan, the simplification and outright replication of wayfarers is inexcusable. I suppose that's what really bothers me the most. The idea that a generic company can unapologetically copy the geometry that made your glasses famous and claim it as their own is inexcusable.. This does a disservice to Raymond Stegeman and to the art of design in general. You deserve so much more.
  And as a personal note to my targets, if you aren't willing to pay $100 dollars for a pair of expertly designed glasses, then you probably don't recognize the value of design itself nor deserve to take part in the evolution of a cultural icon. So next time you see a cheap knock-off in stores, don't buy it please. Save up and purchase authenticity instead.
  But, of course, there are those who don't give a damn, and, as I said before, I hold the deepest contempt possible for those culture trawlers. Keep on going though, Ray-Ban. I enjoy your designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment